Disputes  |   Hot Topics  |   Publications  |  FAQs  |  

Consumer Protection – Disputes

Where Do I Go?

Consumers sometimes have problems with a business – the problem may involve marketing or solicitation practices, contract terms, service quality, or billing issues. It is not always easy to find the right place to file a complaint about practices of a business – whether it is a regulated utility, a retail energy supplier, telephone service provider, or other service. We provide this information in our Where do I File a Complaint fact sheet to help you locate the right agency for your particular type of complaint.

How Do I Make a Complaint?

If you have a problem with a regulated utility or a retail energy supplier, you have a right to file a complaint with the MD PSC.  To file a MD PSC complaint, you can fill out a complaint form online on the PSC website or print out the PSC Complaint Form , which must be mailed to MD PSC with any support documents.

With a utility the problem may be meter or meter reading, disputed bill amount, denial of service, service termination, service quality, or need for a bill payment plan. With a retail energy supplier, the problem may be slamming (unauthorized sign-up), deceptive marking, billing or contract dispute.  You should first try to resolve the problem with the utility or supplier.  If you are not satisfied, you should file your complaint with the PSC.  It is important to clearly describe your complaint and the remedy you want, and provide the appropriate documents or evidence to support your complaint.